Sunday, August 11, 2019

Equity in Computing


In the fall of 2018, I was elected for one of the CSTA Greater Boston Co-President positions which I share with David Petty. We are a local chapter and part of CSTA National, Computer Science Teachers Association. In my role, I help facilitate monthly meetings, run workshops, manage our Twitter account and website, and more. This year the Computer Science Teachers Association chapters of New England are kicking off our third annual CSTA regional conference. For updates or great resources, follow the conference on Twitter, #cstaNE2019. The Greater Boston chapter has partnered with Boston University to provide learning opportunities and discussions about "Equity in Computing" on Saturday, October 26. 

This is the first time I am coordinating something of this magnitude and I'm ready. The activities and ideas shared in the module on Connecting to Enrich Face-to-Face Professional Development, have given me new insights and ideas running a successful event. In my role as CSTA Greater Boston Co-President, I am excited to help navigate these waters and learn alongside my peers. It takes a village or in this case, CSTA chapters. 

Without giving away too much of the fun activities we will plan for the upcoming regional conference, I love the idea of previewing and connecting with the presenters via social media before even attending the event and of course following the conference, #cstaNE2019, to start making connections. I'm excited to explore a few ideas for conference challenges, like @ShellTerrell's selfie game or a versions of her BINGO board activity. Anything to connect the participants and anyone through social media interested in learning more about computer science education. 

Other ways to get involved 

follow us on Twitter, Greater Boston @csteachersgb or CSTA National @csteachersorg
join CSTA National, or
look for your local chapter, or start your own.

Join us if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment