Saturday, March 21, 2020

Physical Distancing - Social Connections

As a digital learning coach my passion is to help teachers integrate technology tools into their day to day curriculum to provide essential skills and tools for student learning. With the current state of the world, you can imagine this can be an even bigger challenge. Now more than ever, I want to help people use these tools to connect with each other but many do not know how to navigate video conferencing tools. I'm even learning a few new ones myself. My hope is that while we are practicing physical distancing we remain SOCIALLY CONNECTED. 


NeedPix.com
This week, I explored using video conferencing tools to bring small groups of students, friends, and family together to play online games. We have had so much fun. With my students I ran 9, 30 minute sessions of a Hangman like game to review vocabulary and CONNECT. A couple of my students broke out their guitars and I, my mandolin. We strummed along while we played the game and talked about using Google Meet to jam or play more games. Several students had so much fun they signed up for additional games. We are scheduled to play charades next week. 



Boggle Board
In addition to working with my students, I have had two rounds of online Boggle, one with my colleagues and another with some leaders in tech ed. We too had a lot of fun. A lot of our discussion was on the current situation and the great need for staying connected. 



PxHere
Many people are alone at this time, people of all ages. We have an only child. Hanging out with mom and dad all day gets old fast for a 13 year old. My goals right now are to help my students, friends, and family to connect and learn how to utilize this tool so they can play games, share stories, jam, and find interesting ways to physically distance themselves while staying socially connected. 


I am planning new games and have several scheduled for this weekend starting with my scout troop and later with my family. Games we will play include hangman, Balderdash, Pictionary, Taboo, and charades. I have shared invites through messaging, Facebook, and Twitter in the hopes for more friends and family to join in. 


PublicDomainVectors
We have been thrown into an unprecedented situation and are scrambling to find our way. Some families lack the tools they need to connect, like training, a device to connect, and a much needed internet connection. This can make connecting an even bigger challenge.


I so want to push this idea forward to keep us connected, particularly isolated folks and those living in elderly homes. I am looking for people to help with this effort. If you aren't sure how it works, read my last two blog posts or better yet send me an email to sign up for a game, then you can start to organize your own games with your friends, family, colleagues, or whomever you wish to stay connected with. If you have the skills to do this already, reach out to others, start scheduling games of your own. Someone out there needs this now!
PublicDomainVectors


Help us to stay connected in this time of isolation! Please push this idea forward. If you are interested in playing, look at my calendar, find a game then send me an email. In the subject line type "Remote Games." In the body of your email tell me:
1) your email for connecting,
2) 3 date and times in order of preference.
For an effective game players are limited to 10-15 people.

Comments welcomed! Do you know of an organization that I should reach out to? Any ideas for additional games or resources for others to access?

No comments:

Post a Comment